Detailed Character Career and Skills for Runequest Glorantha
OK inspired by ways I used to play with RQ3 Character Gen system, and a little bit by the old Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay System I have created an advanced option for character professions and skills in RQ.
Let me first say is I don’t think the character creation system in RQG is particularly flawed, difficult troublesome or lacking when it comes to skills. It is a very good system for those who want to create characters quickly, effectively with a good balance of skills, and a sense of culture.
However some of us may want to spend longer to craft our characters and NPC’s previous experience, in ways where we sacrifice time to get some advantages in terms of outcome.
The advantages which I hope the extra time required delivers is the following;
- Previous experience system that allows characters multiple previous roles
- A greater sense of your characters story to date
- A system that reflect character progression and movement between roles
- Greater levels of player choice in both profession and the consequences of those professions
- Characters with more diverse and graduated skills sets
- A better system for dealing with more experienced characters
- The avoidance of spending points of skills which would not be right but are demanded by broad categories used in standard RQG character creation.
- Avoidance of skills gaps which are not believable and leave characters vulnerable
- Having less characters generated which are skills masters by the age of 21