Recent around discussions round the development and play testing of RQG led to talk of what was the correct starting level power level for characters. One of the few features of MRQ2 which i liked and thought was worthwhile was the different levels of character experience that could be created of the with the system. This is something that is very easy to port over WOD:Glorantha so I thought I would implement it.
For Players Characters
A core concept is that players character are in someway exceptional and touched by fate, destined to be movers and shakers, with greater potential than the average person. So the stats for PC’s will be those of exceptional people at whatever stage of life they are at. These sames stats storytellers can also use for significant NPC’s and other characters in the world that are similarly touched by fate.
I have identified six starting levels.
- Novice – A young person just entering adulthood and finding there feet, wet behind the ears and unskilled in life. However with the potential to be far from average. Usually in the age range 14 to 18,
- Initiate – Still young but will have completed their apprenticeships and or training. Have found there feet in the adult world and are ready to get on with life. They will already be starting to stand out from the crowd. Usually in the age range 18 to 23, this is the default starting point for the system.
- Seasoned – With over 5 years experience in there chosen field, these characters, have significant power and will not be far off starting to harness higher magics their true magical potential. Usually in the age range of 23 to 30.
- Veteran – Having over ten years practical experience in their area(s) of expertise, veteran are tough cookies and should employing rune magic and be of significant status in their cults. Very few people reach this level of power under the age of 28.
- Runelevel – Characters which are firmly established Runelords and Runepriests of there respective cults. Usually 30 years of age by this point and wielders of considerable magic power, skills, abilities and backgrounds.
- Heroquester – Incredibly powerful characters ready to surpass the roles of Runepriests and Runelords and do the things that only the mightiness of hero’s can do. Age is no barrier to people of this level of magical potential and power.
So for each of the above use the table below for the character creation process;
|Characterisation Freebie Points||7||7||7||7||7||7|
|Flaws & Merits|
|Max points balance||5||7||9||11||13||15|
For Standard NPCS
These stats are for more everyday people they are included for two reasons, the first is that some storytellers prefer to create NPC’s via rules ( I don’t, I just give them the stats I want.) and the second is for a comparison, so we can compare players with a more generic population a get a sense of proportionate power levels.
|Characterisation Freebie Points||–||–||–||–|
|Flaws & Merits|
|Max points balance||5||5||7||9|